Monday, September 5, 2011

What's Cookin': Cookies and Bread

I have been saying for quite some time that I wanted to spend a weekend day freezer cooking, and see how much time it saved me during the week. Well, today Josh suggested I give it a shot. I spent a few hours in the kitchen making sauces and breads to freeze, and calling my mom-in-law for tips and tricks. (Note to self: Time to invest in a label maker.) While I had a lot of fun, I was really sad that Bubs wasn't around to help with the pouring and mess making; so I decided that I want to start cooking or baking with the boys (their choice what we make) every weekend. Bubs was easy to convince, and I'm hoping that once Jam is old enough to really get involved we can make this a family event.


We make a lot of bread. It's a pretty mundane task for a 2 year old, and Bubs  is generally not too interested. Having been in the kitchen all day today though, he was eager to jump in whenever I needed a helper. He is nowhere near ready to measure on his own, but he sure is headed in the right direction!



Everyday Flax Bread (for the bread machine)
3 cups wheat flour
3 TBS agave nectar/other sweetener
2 TBSP flax seeds
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 TBS oil
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 cup HOT water
-Place in bread pan in order above
-Select crust setting (we like medium) and bake for 3 hours and 18 minutes.




We also baked some late-night cookies! I saw this recipe on the back of a corn flakes box, and have been just dyingto tweak/"veganize" it. They are REALLY good, but taste more like a breakfast bar than a cookie, if you ask me.


Craisin and Granola Corn Flake Jumbles1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup "butter"
Egg replacer to equal 1 egg
4 tsp vanilla soy milk
1 cup Craisins (we LOVE the pomegranate ones.)
1/2 cup granola
2 2/3 cups crushed corn flakes

-Preheat oven to 375
-Stir together flour, salt, baking soda, and powder. Set aside.
-In a large mixing bowl beat sugar and butter until smooth. Add egg, soy milk and flour mix, beat until fluffy.  Stir in Craisins and granola.
-Place corn flakes in shallow bowl. drop rounded spoonfulls of dough into flakes and roll until coated.
- set on greased cookie sheet and bake 12-15 minutes, until golden brown

0 comments:

Post a Comment